Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My First Share!

Okay, so I received neither trout nor fig jam, but I'm happy overall with my first pick-up from Fair Shares.

Buttercrunch lettuce, a huge bag of shiitake and oyster mushrooms, cheese from Heartland Creamery (um, you know how I feel about them, but fine, I will eat their cheese), spaghetti from Mangia, black beans, a 2.5 lb. chicken, San Luis flour tortillas, peanut butter from Sappington Farmers Market, and salsa.

The chicken is a bit small, so the family who raised them included a note explaining the cold weather had kept the chickens small. Future ones will be around 3.5 lbs.

But, oh my gosh, check out the mushrooms!


For dinner, I cooked half of the spaghetti, combined it with sauted mushrooms, carrots, and ginger (I already had the last two in the refrigerator). Then I topped it with a yummy peanut sauce (using my new peanut butter). Awesome! I also topped some lettuce with a carrot and lemon juice salad that I made over the weekend.

Not too shabby for a thrown together meal.


And I have leftovers for two more meals.

4 comments:

Porkchop said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Porkchop said...

When I come home I hope there's Mountain Dew in our CSA box!

bek said...

Looks wonderful -- I'm beyond jealous. I heard that they might be doing vegetarian shares in the future...maybe you could put in a request for a proselytization-free share :)

Carrie said...

Porkchop: Only if the Mountain Dew is locally and sustainably produced. Perhaps if you find a suitable vendor, we can recommend it to the CSA.

Bek: Ha! I'm really trying to work through the issue of food produced by fundies. At least it's a common issue on which we (me and them) agree...