Friday, June 30, 2006

Ice Cream...So Much Ice Cream

Porkchop came home early yesterday evening (early as in around 7:00), so we went out for ice cream. We have been frequenting Ted Drewes for frozen custard, but I wanted to go somewhere within easy walking distance, so we went to the City Diner.

Goodness, we should have just shared a banana split, but I let Porkchop have it to herself while I ordered my own Irish Cream shake. We were so full of ice cream when we left! Ugh!

I enjoyed my shake, but I wanted something more like a sundae. Sometime, we'll make the drive to Crown Candy Kitchen for sundae-goodness.

For your mouth-watering pleasure, here are ice cream places I miss:

Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Home of Zanzibar...my favorite ice cream flavor ever.
Hubbard Avenue Diner Also missed for their other sweet treats.
Whitey's The only thing I miss about Iowa City.
Muriel and Sebastian's I would be open to giving into my sister's request and moving to Atlanta if I could live right by Muriel and Sebastian's. I've set up the link directly to the flavors page. That's right, kids...you can get ice cream that has huge pieces of doughnut or cake or pie in it. Their flavors are super-creative and super-delicious. They also serve yummy food.
Braum's I grew up stopping at these on the way to visit my grandparents in Oklahoma. My grandpa was a rough-and-tumble farmer/rancher, so going to an ice cream shop with him seemed surreal...even for a 7-year-old.
Buck's Place Yay! Tiger Stripe ice cream! Yeah, I celebrated my Mizzou school spirit by frequenting Buck's...which was conveniently located by my freshman-year dorm. Dude...I want to be a Professor for Ice Cream Research.

I also miss the countless ice cream carts in England where you could get a flake - a vanilla ice cream cone with a Cadbury Flake bar in it. Oh, and the convenient gelato shops in Italy...definitely miss those. Okay, this is only kind of ice-cream-related, but I really miss the UW library mall food cart that served red bean smoothies!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....ice cream.

But Enough about Ice Cream
While at the City Diner, we picked up a copy of Sauce magazine, St. Louis's very own food and restaurant mag. When we got home, we sat on our front steps and read it front to back. For a while, I was outside by myself....by myself except for the raccoon that wandered over by me! From the corner of my eye, I thought it was a cat, but then I turned to get a better look...the raccoon was as shocked as I was! After I said Hi to it, it scampered off to the gutter drain.

The raccoon was cute with its little pointy, masked face and one front leg raised, looking at me. Not cute was the house centipede that ambled across the dining room floor this morning. Porkchop is applying insecticide to that room today. I guess we should spray down the whole apartment.

In other news, Jay International Foods failed me yesterday by not having pine nuts. I'm hoping someone will have them at the farmers' market tomorrow. If not, it will be on to another grocery store...maybe I should go to a deli on the Hill so that I can also pick up some good olive oil. You see, once I get the ingredients together, I will make a pesto in order to use up some basil. Also because I like pesto, but hate buying the stuff at the grocery store.

Have a good day!

***Update***
There's a new rooftop French bar and bistro opening not too far from us, Vin de Set, supposedly influenced by a trip to Provence...we'll see about that. When I first read the name, I thought: Wine of...what? But, no, the name is supposed to be the French phonetic spelling of 2017, the restaurant's street address. I haven't been in a French class since I was 15, but I don't think so! Vingt-dix-sept doesn't sound like "vin de set." Maybe the "de" part does if you say it with a long e, but "vin" doesn't capture the "ngt" sound. And "set" doesn't do justice to "sept." Cute idea, but it doesn't work. Hopefully, the owners are smarter with the food.

Of course, I won't start with how people pronounce "Chouteau" (the street on which Vin de Set is located) around here. Ah well, I still love being around all the French-y names, even if the pronunciation is mutilated. Porkchop recently had to give me a 10-minute tutorial so that I could say "Gravois" like a native city dweller. The result is ugly, but that's how it's done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually the owners put careful thoght into the name. Vin De Set is a twist on the phonetic spelling of 2017 in french. They felt it would be easier to pronounce as well as remember the name rather than use the actual phonetic spelling.