Friday, October 20, 2006

Broken Flowers Like Broken Promises

Wednesday night was knitting night. It was also edamame and corn chowder night (yum!) and the 6th game of the NLCS.

The chowder came off without a hitch and was enjoyed by all - the one good thing of the evening. A strong wind brewed up powerful gusts that knocked our precious pretty mums off the front steps and into the yard. Kind of like how, at Shea Stadium, the Mets knocked the Cardinals off their series lead.

A dark cloud of gloom settled over our apartment, and the air was pregnant with a sense of betrayal. Some were sad about the broken mums, some sad about the promises perceived to be broken by La Russa and his players. Some wanted to kick the wind in its head, some wanted to kick a few baseball players in the head.

Thursday morning, we all shed a tear for the mum blossoms strewn about the yard and felt distraught about the upcoming Game 7. And, when the airline called to tell Porkchop that her Friday morning flight to Houston had been canceled, we shook our fists (well, one individual beat the steering wheel of the other individual's car and cursed while the latter individual bit her tongue and stayed silent).

Some things work out

The Cardinals were able to win the NLCS. (YAY! Molina is the best!) Porkchop was given a later, yet still early, flight with a different airline, so she had some extra sleep and I didn't have to get up at 4:30 to drop her off at the metro station.

Some things don't work out

The mums are still broken. Murrrr!

Next Week
Crazy time is approaching! Kidney Day is this Wednesday!! Aaaaaaaaaa!!!

I am so nervous, and I'm not even the one going under the knife. Luckily, I will get to sit with Porkchop before cutting time. And, our friend B is driving over from Columbia to sit with me the rest of the time.

We have to arrive at the hospital at 6:00 am, and Porkchop's portion of the surgery starts around 9:00. Her part will require about 3 hours. I think her dad will take longer, but I'm not sure.

Do y'all know that they will leave her dad's non-functioning kidneys in him?! Isn't that weird?! I think it's kind of freaky to have two non-functioning organs just hanging out.

My family has been sending Porkchop some weird packages. My mom sent a robe, which is a very nice thought. Unfortunately, the robe selection must be quite limited in Jonesboro because Porkchop received a pink robe with an appliqued rabbit and an embroidered slogan that reads "Let's Focus on Me!" The good thing is that the robe is super-soft. Seriously, I've never felt a softer robe.

Yesterday, Porkchop received a FedEx package from my sister. It was full of crazy socks! At least 10 pairs! And a sudoku book and a funny card.

Anyway, they are nice thoughts.

So...
After this weekend, I might be posting even less. At least until I feel like Porkchop does not require all of my attention.

Please think good thoughts! Not just about the Cardinals beating Detroit and winning the World Series, but also about Porkchop and her dad!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should click on my name to see what I'm sending in the web mail. It's not socks and robes, but it's great. Um. Is that over the line?

Anonymous said...

umm. take two.

Carrie said...

YAY!

That made me laugh. Out loud.

I was thinking about how I should go grocery shopping for easy things that Porkchop could eat after the surgery. Maybe I should pick up some kidney beans!