Sunday, November 04, 2007

Not Enough Hours Gained

I love the "fall back" time change, but we really don't gain enough hours.

My past week at work was CRAZY, and this week will be even crazier because of a conference that we're hosting. Since the conference only pertains to one project, all the other project managers think I'm just sitting around waiting for something to do. Uh, no.

This weekend has been pretty nice, however, and not just because of the time change.

Yarn and Food
On Saturday, I met a few ladies from my knitting class for the opening of Knitty Couture. I touched a lot of yarn, a lot of very nice yarn, said hi to a couple of knitting acquaintances, and met Eileen of Eileen Knits. In the end, I came out of Knitty Couture empty-handed. I could have broken the bank buying yarn, but I didn't have a particular project in mind. I find it best to not blindly buy yarn.

I will definitely go back to the store - it's in dangerous walking distance of Wash U. I'm also intrigued by the Knit-a-Bit sessions - sounds like you can test knit with yarn and needles on Saturdays. That would be so great!

After browsing the store, we had a yummy lunch at Thai Cafe. Mmmmmm.....masman curry. My favorite.

Saturday night, I started making an adult-sized Utopia hat. My only worry now is that I will run out of yarn!

Books and a Party
Among other things today, I went to my local public library branch. I didn't think I would find much, but I left with Transparent: Love, Family, and Living the T with Transgender Teenagers, The Short Bus: A Journey Beyond Normal, a slow cooker cookbook, and Scarf Style.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I love to knit scarves. While I would like to knit an actual garment some day, I am quite content to knit a good scarf.

There are some fantastic patterns in Scarf Style that I will copy and file away for later. I will, however, start on the Interlocking Balloons pattern very soon - I have two skeins of Dream in Color that will look terrific.

The one thing that is bugging me about Scarf Style is the photography. Instead of having a clear shot of a model wearing the scarf, the photos are focused on the model's head and neck while the rest of the scarf is blurry. Yeah, the photos are all "artistic," but I really want to see the whole damned scarf before I knit it. When I was flipping through the book in the library, I thought perhaps my eyes were having problems focusing in the fluorescent lights. Geez.

Anyway, I'm tired.

I recently returned from a get-together hosted by my center's director. One of our project managers eloped last month. Since the PM is from China and didn't have a family gathering, our director decided to host a reception of sorts. It was a good time, even though I prefer to not see work people on the weekend (especially on Sunday night! the night before work begins! how cruel).

You know, I had been composing all sorts of witty remarks in my head this weekend for my blog, but they have all left me. I need some sleep.

Good night! And have a great week!

No comments: