Monday, July 02, 2007

Two Recipes

Dear BD,

The following is my recipe for tofu salad, along with a tomato-basil dressing recipe that I thought you might like. I made the dressing tonight, and it is terrific! Porkchop even enjoyed it.

TOFU SALAD
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
8 oz firm tofu (pressed), crumbled
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 tablespoon chopped onion

Directions: Mix everything together.
Variations: Adjust mayonnaise/mustard ratio to your liking. Broccoli would be a great add-in. Also, I usually use the entire block of tofu and just up everything a bit.

TOMATO BASIL DRESSING
6 sun-dried tomatoes (NOT packed in oil)
1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup coarsely chopped basil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions: Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl, cover with boiling water, and set aside for 15 minutes. Put everything in a blender (including drained sun-dried tomatoes) and purée until smooth. Dressing should keep for a week in a closed container in the refrigerator.

I like the tofu salad in sandwich form, but I'm sure it could have many other uses. Making the dressing made me think of how you used to make a terrific green goddess dressing with your basil. Furthermore, the other day, Porkchop asked, "Remember when BD had so much basil?" Oh my goodness, you had SO MUCH basil! If (when?) I have a kid, I want to name it Basil.

Enjoy!

Love,
Carrie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks CB! I will dig up that Green Goddess dressing recipe and send it to you! I miss my garden soooooo much :( Next year, if we live in a city building with no yard again I will get one of those amazing porch thingies you all have to grow tomatoes in.
love!
-bd