Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Phone Calls I Don't Like

Dude, I know that Porkchop doesn't like my car because she complains about how slow it is and stuff whenever she's in it, but can you believe she went and did this to it this morning?


I mean, come on, it's not like I MADE her drive it to her parents for the holiday!

But, seriously, Porkchop is fortunately in fine shape.

On this rainy morning, Porkchop was outside of Rolla on I-44 after her visit with her parents. She was a ways behind a semi truck when suddenly the truck threw on its flashers and quickly swerved into the left lane. When the truck moved over she realized that there was a giant piece of metal on the highway. Although she was at least 4 car lengths behind the semi and going the speed limit, this left her little time to react. As she swerved on the wet highway she fishtailed and then began to spin and spin and run into the steel posts and cables in the median. In fact, she rode on top of the cables facing backwards! Crazy! Luckily, the cables did their job so that Porkchop didn't flip or cross over to the other side.

This is what the posts looked like when Porkchop was finished with them:


So...the car is pretty beat up on one side, the gas tank is ruptured, the posts punctured different parts of the car's undercarriage, and there are holes/gaps where the trunk and the engine area of the car join the body. Will State Farm rule this as totaled or fixable? Bets, anyone?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am glad my favorite kidney donor is ok.....but bummer about the car!

You two are in my thoughts. Much love.

cj

Alison Inaz said...

Oh no! I am so glad she's okay and that you seem to have a good attitude about it all.

My money's on totalled.

veggielover said...

I'm so sorry, but so glad that A is ok! Hopefully the insurance stuff won't be too bad.

Amy in StL said...

Wow, that had to be one scary ride. I'm glad she's okay, but I'll bet the insurance company will total it out. It doesn't take much these days!

Carrie said...

Thanks, y'all! We haven't heard from the insurance people yet, but hopefully we will soon. I think it's a busy insurance week, what with Memorial Day accidents and all.

Anonymous said...

glad that you're well.

my dad's saturn got totaled with much much less damage when a school bus rear ended him.

because they're mostly plastic, getting replacement parts is damn tough, so any substantial bodywork is... likely to total the car. unfortunately.

good luck though...