Monday, May 05, 2008

Shaking and Yelling

Shaking
I thought I felt a little earthquake this morning, and I did! A little microquake of 2.7 about 4 miles away.

Yelling
Recently, I've had to start yelling at some kids around here.

Yesterday, two kids were in the gangway shooting what I think were BBs at either my or my neighbor's window unit. I spied them from my back porch and commenced yelling at them: Don't run through here shooting that in my yard! To which the kids looked up, scared, and said okay. When they started to run off, I yelled: And close that gate! Because I hate open gates as much as I hate open drawers and cabinet doors. The kids closed the gate and took off.

This evening, there were older kids playing with the same gun, which didn't seem to having anything in it at the moment. As I walked out to my car, I KNEW that they were going to shoot at my car when I drove off. To me, it doesn't matter if a gun has anything in it or not, or if it's a BB gun or an airgun or a cap gun, it's the intention behind the action that I can't stomach. So, yes, the kid shot as I drove away, I threw the car in reverse, rolled down the window, and yelled: DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!

The kids and I went back in forth a couple of times:
Kids: But there's nothing in it!
Me: I don't care! Don't shoot it at me!

I was hoping that the kids were still outside when I got home so that we could have a conversation about this, but they weren't there.

I mean, I don't like kids pointing anything at me and shooting. But, the larger issue is their safety. There are people on our street and larger neighborhood with REAL guns, and they aren't afraid to use them. I'm worried that one of these kids is going to mess with the wrong person.

I really don't want to see that happen.

2 comments:

Porkchop said...

Or better yet. One of those little kids finds a real gun laying around and thinks it's a toy and points it at your car... or a friend.

Maybe you should stop yelling at them so they won't be tempted to point weapons at you. =)

When I come back I'm going to give them all candy so that they'll like me.

Carrie said...

Psssshhhh...these kids will eat you alive.

[Read in David Sedaris's dad's voice.]