Saturday, November 04, 2006

Settled

I know that I will be happy in a city when I find a good Indian buffet.

Today, Soozi and I returned to Tandoori Hut to check out the buffet. Good stuff. Very good stuff, indeed. All the necessities, and you can choose from TWO kinds of rice pudding.

I can't wait to go back.

In Columbia, I frequented India Palace (or IP, as my friends and I called it). When it closed, I switched to Rasoi, which was also pretty good (but missing the IP ambience and friendly host). In Madison, there was Maharaja (on the West and the East side for your convenience). I have many fond memories of dining at Maharaja with all sorts of different friends and co-workers (including the Night of the Masala Dosa, remember that, K?).

In Iowa City, there were two Indian restuarants, but they both sucked. You might be asking, "But, Carrie, how can an Indian restaurant suck?" I don't know! All I know is that they sucked! So much! Porkchop and I tried the one voted "Best Ethnic Restaurant" (or something like that), and we were sorely displeased. The food was tasteless and overly greasy. Ick.

That really sums up Iowa City. Tasteless and greasy. Don't get me started on how the "Best Sushi" place burned my spider roll! And served their edamame cold (not just cold, nearly frozen)!

Anyway, if a city doesn't have a good Indian buffet, I'm out of there.

Totally.

2 comments:

ken said...

Even though I am not a fan of most Indian food (we did have some good stuff at my cousin's wedding), I do have to concur about the dining scene in IC. Whenever we have left some place we have lived there are always establishments that we sorely miss and frequent upon returning. But when we moved away from IC we commented that there was really nothing we were dying to return to.

Anonymous said...

LOL!! the dosa incident of 2002 (or 2003?) it really was a dining experience unparalleled since. i have yet to find a good one here in chicago but we may have to make a trip to the area where there is a strip of indian restaurants and check it out next time you are here. esp. the dosas.

love, kt